We are taking a variety of approaches in order to build a clear picture as to how the shark, turtle and other pelagic populations of the Eastern Pacific are distributed in terms of abundance, space and time.
MigraMar members are committed to work together to:
- Understanding the importance of marine protected areas for marine migratory species.
- Understanding pelagic and coastal shark regional migratory patterns.
- Assessing shark populations trends in the Eastern Tropical Pacific.
- Ensuring that results from our research are communicated to interested parties and decision-makers.
- Offering technical recomendations to local and national authorities to foster the conservation of marine migratory species.
Our guiding values are:
- Respect– The intellectual property and creative ideas shared by our members is at the heart of our network. We advance our mission by being accountable to each other through collaborative ventures, reciprocity, acknowledgements, attributions, and shared authorship.
- Excellence– We incorporate the best available science to provide credible information to decision makers at national and international levels.
- Integrity– Our word is our bond. To fulfill our commitments to colleagues and the animals we strive to protect, our high professional standards require members to honor intellectual property rights, meet international animal care protocols, and secure all required permits.
- Transparency– We share our scientific and financial procedures in a timely fashion to advance our mission.
- Education– We are deeply committed to building capacity among our own members, with regional partners, and with future generations of scientists to continue to produce high-quality science for the conservation of migratory species throughout the Eastern Pacific.