We are taking a variety of approaches in order to build a clear picture as to how the shark, turtle and other pelagic populations of the Eastern Pacific are distributed in terms of abundance, space and time.
Mission: The MigraMar network conducts the scientific research needed to better understand and safeguard healthy populations of marine migratory species in the Eastern Pacific.
Through our three programs of Scientific Research, Marine Policy and Capacity Building, we:
- Fully comply with all required research permits, national laws and scientific ethics in research projects; and
- Carry out research and/or conservation programs on marine migratory species in the Eastern Pacific;
- Support the MigraMar mission, uphold our values and enthusiastically collaborate with other members;
- Commit to collaborate with others and fully credit colleagues and MigraMar to ensure appropriate recognition for the ideas generated and research undertaken.
Our five guiding values are:
- Respect – The intellectual property and creative ideas shared by our members is at the heart of our network. We advance our mission by being accountable to each other through collaborative ventures, reciprocity, acknowledgements, attributions, and shared authorship;
- Excellence – We incorporate the best available science to provide credible information to decision makers at national and international levels;
- Integrity – Our word is our bond. To fulfill our commitments to colleagues and the animals we strive to protect, our high professional standards require members to honor intellectual property rights, meet international animal care protocols, and secure all required permits.
- Transparency – We share our scientific and financial procedures in a timely fashion to advance our mission.
- Education – We are deeply committed to building capacity among our own members, with regional partners, and with future generations of scientists to continue to produce high-quality science for the conservation of migratory species throughout the Eastern Pacific.